Dover Sole Meuniére ~ la tour
Chef Proprietor Paul Ferzacca presents this delicious favorite Dinner for four.
- Dover Sole, Whole 1lb Fish (4 Each)
- Haricots Vert, (you can substitute green beans) (4oz)
- Baby Creamer Potatoes (you can substitute red bliss) (8 each)
- Roma Tomatoes (2 each)
- Chives (3 tsp.)
- Fresh Lemons (2 each)
- Heavy Cream (4oz.)
- Whole Butter non-salted (4oz.)
- Kosher Salt (To Taste)
- Ground White Pepper (To Taste)
- AP Four (1 cup)
- Clarified Butter or Canola Oil (4oz.)
1. Place potatoes in a small pot and cover with cold water. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil, once boiling turn down to a simmer and let cook until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from water and let cool on a sheet pan. Once cool refrigerate until needed. This procedure can be done one day in advance.
2. In another 2 quart pot fill with water and bring to a boil.
3. While that is coming to a boil, with small paring knife, remove the stems from the roma tomatoes and score an X on the other end of tomato to prepare them for blanching to remove the skin and seeds. Also, remove the ends of the haricots vert, and reserve for blanching.
4. Set up an ice bath with plenty of ice and cold water to refresh the tomatoes and haricots vert once blanched.
5. Once the water is at a rolling boil, blanch the roma tomatoes for about 15 seconds to just blister the skin and refresh in the ice bath. Remove from ice bath, let drain, keep ice bath to refresh haricots vert.
6. Now season the boiling water with enough salt to make it taste like the ocean. This will retain the color of the beans when cooking. Note: green vegetables release acid into the water and the evaporation, which will discolor the vegetables. To counteract the acid an alkaline must be added to the water, salt is an excellent alkaline. Also do not cover the pot or the acid released in the evaporation will be dispersed back into the water.
7. Once the water is back at a rolling boil and seasoned with salt, blanch the haricots vert for about 5 minutes or until al dente. The starches should be jelled completely when cooking any bean, to aid in the digestion process. Remove beans and refresh in ice bath. Once chilled again remove from water, let drain and reserve for plating. This step can be done one day in advance.
8. Make the brown butter sauce: Combine the heavy cream and butter in a 2 quart sauce pan, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Note: When bringing to boil stir occasionally and watch carefully so as the cream does not boil over. Once reduced to a simmer stir occasionally, allow to cook until the cream and butter breaks.
9. Once the cream and butter breaks you must stir constantly to toast the milk solids until golden brown, this will happen quickly, be careful not to burn the milk solids.
10. Once milk solids are golden brown remove from pan and allow cooling in a different container.
11. Once cooled, but still liquid, puree in blender to break up milk solids. You can make the brown butter one week in advance and just reheat in a water bath when needed.
12. Prepare the tomatoes: Remove skin, cut into quarters lengthwise, remove seeds then dice the tomato fillets into ¼” pieces. Reserve in small dish for garnishing plate
13. Prepare the chives: Slice into 1/8” pieces, reserve in small dish for garnishing plate.
14. Prepare the Dover Sole: Remove skin from both sides of the fish and fillet the meat to yield 4 fillets from each fish. This can be done one day in advance.
15. Place brown butter sauce in a hot water bath and bring back up in temperature.
16. Have a small pot of water on stove to reheat potatoes and haricots vert. Before cooking fish place potatoes and haricots vert in water and reheat. Once hot remove and season with salt and ground white pepper.
17. Season fish with salt and ground white pepper, dredge in flour and sauté in clarified butter or canola oil until golden brown. Remove and place on plate with potatoes, haricots vert. Sauce the fish, potatoes and haricots vert with brown butter, garnish plate with diced tomatoes, chives and squeeze fresh lemon juice over everything.